Grouper Moon 2021

Hi Everyone! My name is Amanda Brown, and I will be joining the Cayman Islands Department of Environment (DoE) and Reef Environmental Education Foundation on this year’s Grouper Moon Project in Little Cayman.

I am a grade two teacher at Cayman International School on Grand Cayman. In Grade 2, my students do a Project Based Learning Unit on the ocean, and our driving question is, “How are we connected to the sea?” Engaging students in the Grouper Moon Project each year is one of the many ways that we develop their understanding about how we affect and are affected by our ocean.

Outside of the classroom, you will find me scuba diving our coral reefs in Grand Cayman, volunteering with the Department of Environment’s sea turtle monitoring program and Stony Coral Tissue Loss Disease project, and helping with the Guy Harvey Ocean Foundation’s conservation efforts and surveys at Stingray City Sandbar. I absolutely love the ocean, and it brings me joy to share all of the ocean’s wonders with my students!

This year I am incredibly excited to join the Grouper Moon Project’s research team, and to bring the project to life for my students in a way that I’ve only dreamed of.

I’ll be updating this blog daily, so check here for updates, exciting videos, and a behind the scenes look at this year’s Grouper Moon Project!

One thought on “Grouper Moon 2021